Thursday, January 31, 2013

I am up to LOTS of good


I solemnly swear I am up to lots of good.

This is a variation on a quote from JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series. The original quote read “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” This being the activation code for a magical map known as the Marauders Map. The titular Marauders being Harry Potter’s father and his father’s three best friends. The map would show every passageway and person on the school grounds in real time.

I created the variation because I do not intend to be up to “no good.” It might be interesting to have my quote as a passcode to some guide book that contains wisdom and advice for certain situations in a characters life. 

A swearing means that you will keep your word. But if you are a person up to no good why should you be believed? If you are up to good things then swearing to do so is mostly irrelevant.

I am, as a United Methodist, a fan of John Wesley. His injunction on doing good is, I think, quite appropriate for this variation. Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.

I look forward to many more years of doing good, and unlocking the good in the lives of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment