Friday, July 31, 2015

To be yourself

to be yourself is a dangerous thing.
the search for that self is a tedious thing 
sometimes sorting the histories of those around you for language that describes even a fraction of your experience and then falls short of full expression.
the adventure to defend and explore that self in the midst of a world that says it likes originality but worships at an altar of “belonging” and “fitting in” makes for interesting times.
to be yourself is a dangerous thing.
it separates you and defines you and it asks of you no less than your best.
i ask not that you follow me, i know only the way i must go. 
i ask not that you guide me, i must find that path myself.
i ask only that you not hinder me, for i have enough barricades and slippery places in my own heart and mind.
to be yourself is a dangerous thing. 

BUT to know thyself is the most worthy goal for in that knowing you shall find the face of god within you

No comments:

Post a Comment